Reading Comprehension in Varied Subject Matter Book 1
For Grade 3
Reading Comprehension spans grades 2–11 and comprises fourteen student books. The series offers nonfiction reading passages with comprehension questions on a variety of subjects.
● Topics and questions prepare students for standardized tests and provide valuable practice in nonfiction reading comprehension.
● Short passages on a variety of topics are followed by varied comprehension exercises including story recall, inferential questions, and writing prompts.
● Reading passages promote thinking and learning across the content areas and include topics in science, social studies, literature, math, and more.
Types of Exercises Reading Comprehension
● About the Passage – introduces the selection to the reader and activates prior knowledge
● Reason for Reading – explains the reading skill being emphasized in the passage
● Thinking It Over – asks two to three broad questions that students must answer with a complete sentence
● Studying the Passage – asks both literal and inferential questions in multiple-choice and true/false formats including main idea, interpretation, sequencing, and drawing conclusions
● Using the Words – encourages students to use vocabulary from the passage in a paragraph
● Write about It - provides several prompts for students to respond critically to the passage in writing including their own interpretations